Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Italian Grand Prix

Many years ago, I sat on a high speed TGV train from Rome to Bologna opposite one of the most stunningly beautiful women I have ever seen. The layout of the train carriage was typical of any modern intercity train: a single aisle with seats grouped in two rows of four seats; one set of seats facing the direction of travel and the other doing the opposite. Next to me was an elderly lady avoiding the gaze of her husband seated opposite her by staring out of the window at the countryside rapidly disappearing at 200 mph. Across the aisle was another elderly couple. Next to the couple, facing the direction of travel, was a well-built young man fast asleep with his head against the window. I was attempting to read my Italian travel guide but the beauty opposite me was too distracting. My eyes kept wandering up from the pages of the book in my hand to her exceptional face, neck and chest.

After about ten minutes of this I began to think rationally. The girl was obviously travelling alone. From the way she was staring out of the window, I could see that she was clearly bored. If I tried speaking to her, I would lose nothing. She would either ignore me or engage in conversation with me. So, I was either going to be left alone to stare at my book and the girl or enjoy some charming company for a couple of hours. I decided to dive in.
"Buon giorno," I said. The girl smiled sweetly and replied "Buon giorno." I was in business.

For the next half hour I chatted away with my gorgeous companion in greater happiness than I had ever known aboard a train. We spoke about everything and nothing. It was lovely. She giggled and laughed out cheerily at my stories and seemed genuinely happy to be in my company. I was suffused with an indescribable warmness.

Then the young man across the aisle woke up. He raised his head from the window and heard the sound of the girl's laughter. He looked across the aisle and saw the girl flashing me one of her unforgettable smiles. The fact the young man was separated from the girl and I by two occupied seats and an aisle suggested to me that he had nothing to do with the girl. Wrong suggestion. The young man was animated by the girl's smile. Girls' smiles can do strange things to excitable young men. He leapt over the elderly lady and in one single bound was by my side. My recollection of this is somewhat blurred by the swiftness and intensity of what followed but I can safely say that I remember finding myself on my back in the aisle with the young man's knee in my chest. A torrent of Italian abuse followed down my ears and heavy blows rained on my head. I would surely have been despatched to meet my maker had the girl and the two elderly couples not intervened and restrained the young man. One doesn't forget things like that in a hurry!

Anyway, the point of this little tale is that it represents everything about Italy: technological prowess, beauty and passion. Italy is one of the most amazing countries in the world. The best food and wine is Italian; the most beautiful cities are Italian; and the most gorgeous women are Italian. It is no surprise then that the most amazing sports car marques in the world are also Italian. Nobody else can combine these three things as profoundly as the Italians. A Porsche may be super-quick and very nice to drive but isn't quite a Bugatti, is it? A Corvette may have some grunt but does it have any of the charm or elegance of a Lamborghini? An Aston Martin may be Prince Charles and James Bond's means of fast conveyance but would you have one instead of a Maserati? Yes, the Jaguar E-type is a legendary motor car but there is no name in the sports car firmament that is more legendary than Ferrari. Ferrari is the ultimate sports car. Why? Because Ferrari is, above all else, a Formula One racing team. Ferrari exists for Formula One.

With this in mind, we go this weekend to the home of Italian motor racing and Ferrari's home race: Monza. You might argue that the San Marino Grand Prix - which takes place in Imola in the spring - is Ferrari's real home race because of the proximity of the circuit to the Ferrari factory in Maranello. I would argue differently. Treat the Italian Grand Prix like you would an Italian meal and things will begin to make sense. Imola is the antipasti, the appetiser, the event that gets the F1 digestive juices flowing. Monza is the carne, the t-bone steak of Italian motor racing, the main event! In the world of F1 in the hands of Bernie Ecclestone and his clownish sidekick at the FIA, Max Moseley, there are next to no certainties. Here is one: there will always be an Italian Grand Prix. That I can guarantee.

This weekend's race looks to me like a damage limitation weekend for Renault. Since 2000, Ferrari have been beaten at Monza only twice. First by BMW-Williams in 2001 and then by McLaren-Mercedes in 2005. Both times, to the annoyance of the proud Italian team, it was by a cheeky chappie raised near the coca fields of Colombia, Juan Pablo Montoya. Since the Colombian is no longer around to ruin the Ferrari party (much to Chipo's chagrin), I expect nothing less than a Ferrari one-two on Sunday. Felipe Massa is on top form at the moment and highly energised by taking his inaugural victory in Turkey a fortnight ago. Michael Schumacher knows he has no choice but to win this race if he is to stay in the running for the championship after seeing the gap to Fernando Alonso widen in Turkey from ten to twelve points. Make no mistake, Ferrari are at home and they are taking no prisoners.

Fernando Alonso's best bet would be to split the two Ferraris in qualifying. Second place would be an excellent result for him. But there is a joker in the pack: Kimi Raikkonen. Renault have let the cat out of the bag. By naming Fernando Alonso's replacement as Heikki Kovalainen they have disclosed the worst kept secret in Formula One: Kimi Raikkonen is moving to Ferrari next year. Everyone knows that Schumacher wants to leave on a high. There is no bigger high in F1 than the world championship. If he doesn't win the championship this year, he may hang around and give it a whirl next year. I don't think being Schumacher's number two ranks highly on Raikkonen's wish list for 2007. He, therefore, has a powerful incentive to usher Schumacher along towards retirement by assisting him any way he can this season. For this reason, Raikkonen will be Ferrari's third driver at the Italian Grand Prix.

Another possible variable is Jenson Button. Having scored his maiden win, he is a far more relaxed fellow and, I think, potentially a good deal more successful. I have always rated his driving style highly and feel certain that he is up there with the big boys but lacks the tools with which to get the job done.

It is going to be interesting. I have had words with Guiseppe and told him that this is no weekend for slouching. Not that he ever fails to please - it is simply that I expect him to give of his best in celebration of his home Grand Prix. I am, thus, looking forward to a healthy Italian repast washed down with something red, Lombardian and wet as I sit down and observe the action on Sunday. Doubtless, you too will,

Enjoy Monza!

Gitau
7 September 2006